Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Few Sacraments In Photos


Yes, these are rocks. No, they are not semi precious, or sitting on an island somewhere just off the coast of Tahiti. They're not particularly valuable. This is why they are a sacrament to me.

A sacrament is something that makes you keenly aware of the presence of Jesus. A baptism is a sacrament, as is a wedding, or when a priest takes Holy Orders. These are pretty obvious sacraments, especially if they are in a church with stained glass windows and a choir singing.

But these rocks, they are sacrament, too. They remind me that Jesus is close, really close, and most of the time, I am not paying him much attention. They remind me that while I am busy running around trying to accomplish that day's Very Important Things To Accomplish, they continue to be what they are, what they always were. They've been around for millions of years, not trying to be anything other than what they are. In that respect, they are like Jesus, who is the great I Am. They Are, too. They are not wasting the time they are here, because at every moment, they are being. Simply being.

Here is another sacrament:

This is a song sparrow. There are millions of them, all over the world. They are not endangered. They don't do anything extraordinary. They don't migrate, or have amazing plumage, or a lovely song. It's not a bad song, just not a specially lovely one.
But this bird is another sacrament to me. Why? Because it can go almost anywhere. There's no place off limits to this bird. You can find it in the garden, and in the garden section of Home Depot. Once, a long time ago, when I was arguing with God about what my Purpose In Life was, he said, "Look at that sparrow. See it? See how little it is? A sparrow like that could sit on my shoulder and keep me company in a way that the eagle or peacock never can."

Ok, Lord, I get it. Littleness can bring you closer to what's real, because there's that much less to get in the way. Got it.

And now, my favorite sacrament of all. The one that reminds me all the time that Jesus is right here, right now. That love is always here, woven now inextricably and completley into my life, holding me up close to the light so its easier for me to see.

My Favorite Sacrament.... in rain.

2 comments:

  1. That last sacrament is pretty darn amazing!! You are certainly blessed, Aunt Karen!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete